Tuesday, May 13, 2008

we smart like pineapple

According to Mark Bauerlein, students spend their time on sites that:
harden adolescent styles and thoughts, amplifying the discourse of the lunchroom and the keg party, not spreading the works of the Old Masters.

I's agree!

In fact, I have proof that adolescents from the previous century lived a more academic, Old Master-filled life.

Here's a snippet from my high school treatise:
When in the course of my daily travails I stumble upon the rigorous and hearty company of my like-minded companions; of whom, I most and must readily admit oft times challenge the rigidity of my thinking, we engage in the spirited and light-hearted contest we have entitled, 'Old Master Challenge'.

Its rules, accessible to all my peers; as, for well we all know, today's adolescent collective is an inspired, collective lot of well-articulated deliverers of discourse, makes for a competitive and dare I say fun passage of the inexorable grinding of time.

October 5, 1988
Um...

I'm having a tough time coming up with:
a. Sites that "spread the works of the Old Masters"
b. Adolescents seeking out these URLs

But I did find:
http://oldmasters.com

And if Bauerlein would like to take the proverbial bull by its proverbial horns, here's two URLs ready for occupation:
http://oldmasters.org
http://oldmasters.co.uk

Adolescents are adolescents, and the infusion of technology isn't weakening their communication skills, although Naomi Brown cites an NAEP report (National Assessment of Educational Progress) that only 24% of twelfth-graders:
are capable of composing organized, coherent prose in clear language with correct spelling and grammar.
Curious thing around here is that over the last five years, 85% - 89% of graduating seniors continued their education at either a two or four year college.






1 comment:

Anne Van Meter said...

It seems kind of odd to me that we expect the addition of wired objects will change basic adolescent psychology. I suspect not much has changed in terms of how many/what proportion of students spend time discussing Jane Austen (sorry, my own predilection) vs Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants