- A place where a student pulls out a shotgun from a duffel bag and proceeds to commit suicide in front of the library.
- Where a girl stays after the last bell and finally wants to talk. But she says nothing. She turns her back to the teacher, lifts up her shirt, and there, in firework red, are whip marks scattered deep across her back. An extension cord can do that? Nope. Not without a father.
- An institution that tries to juggle two seemingly incongruous concepts: differentiated instruction and state testing.
- Where a girl decides that the entire class should hear that her special, wonderful boyfriend placed his genitals in her mouth the previous night behind the Tilt-A-Whirl during the church carnival. Honestly, who really wants to talk about Hamlet?
- A chance for ninth graders to indoctrinate themselves by intoxicating themselves on vodka-filled water bottles. Good old-fashioned fun. But I've never had to have my stomach pumped, and surely never twice in one year.
What is school?
- Statistically speaking, the safest means of travel out there.
- Wireless technology.
- Health class.
- Frog dissections.
Taylor, thanks for the inspiration. You've got a lot of moxie!