Tuesday, February 24, 2009

what notes may come

In his first sixth months of pre-school, Mark returned home every one of those days with one or more of the following:
  • odd-shaped contruction paper-based items posing as art
  • things laminated, accessorized with ready-to-mount-on-fridge magnets
  • leaves, pine cones, rocks, pebbles
But only twice have hand-written note by his teacher made the journey from school to home. They've included, in highlight fashion:
  • anecdotal retelling of negative behaviors evinced by Mark
  • recounting of steps used by the teacher to allay behaviors
  • request for parental assistance in curbing the behaviors
I don't condone the behaviors identified; the lack of sharing or the tantrum that rendered him inconsolable for over an hour.

But just six months into his school career, and already, the pattern of recognition has been established.

It's just so disappointing.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I never cease to be amazed at how much you are able to say in so few words. This post really struck me as a parent and as a teacher. Thank you for reminding me of why I used to send postcards to my students about the fabulous things they were doing.

Ken Rodoff said...

Thanks for the comment. Dina Strasser, over at The Line, once wrote about keeping posts short so that readers don't have to scroll down.

I try to keep that in mind with every post.