Wednesday, October 8, 2008

an ambulatory approach

Each teacher at today's DI workshop had "no more than five minutes" to complete a randomly assigned RAFT activity.

Role: Hard to reach student
Audience: Teachers
Format: Advice column
Topic: How to reach me

Tick, tock. Tick, tock:
Mr. Stonehenge,

I'm sure you've heard this before, but engage me or enrage me.

You can't stand in one place,
Teach at one pace,
And expect me to sit stationary in one small space.

If you move, so will I,
If you provide choice, I'll fly,
If you raise the bar, I'll jump exceptionally high.

But only if...

If you.

Looking to move
Doesn't matter if you compose it, present it, or plop it in a three-minute poem: if you're going to teach, you need to accept the reality that you do have a responsibility to vary everything you do.

Start moving.

No comments: